Spider-Man will continue to fight alongside characters like Thor, Captain Marvel, and Doctor Strange — at least for a little while longer.
After news broke that Spider-Man was being pulled from the MCU, Deadline reports that Sony and Marvel have reached a new deal that will see the studios collaborate on a third solo Spider-Man movie (slated for a July 16, 2021 release) and also see the character appear in one more Marvel Studios film.
“I am thrilled that Spidey’s journey in the MCU will continue, and I and all of us at Marvel Studios are very excited that we get to keep working on it,” said Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige. “Spider-Man is a powerful icon and hero whose story crosses all ages and audiences around the globe.”
Toward the end of last month, news broke that Sony had suddenly decided to break up with Marvel and keep Spider-Man out of the MCU. Essentially, Deadline claimed that Sony wanted to go at it alone and build its own universe following the success of Venom.
Variety reports Marvel will receive 25 percent of the profits in addition to merchandising revenue. In Deadline’s report from August, it was said Disney was seeking a 50/50 split, rather than the estimated 5 percent of first gross dollar and merchandising revenue.
Whatever changed Sony’s mind, this is good news for Spider-Man — and comic — fans all around. It means Tom Holland’s Spider-Man will continue to shout out old movies references during battle, much to the chagrin of the other Avengers.
In response to the news, Tom Holland posted a clip from The Wolf of Wall Street on his Instagram, in which Leonardo DiCaprio’s character loudly declares he’s not leaving